Friday, October 23, 2009

ABOVE ALL, PRESUME INTELLECT!


Here we go again! Austin has found yet another way to remind the "experts" that he has been in there the whole time. First it was with the Dynavox, and telling his teacher "Shut up, I don't like your singing!". And now, another "In Your Face" moment from my son. (I have no idea where he gets his attitude, but I like his style!) This is an incredibly proud Mommy moment, so please bear with me.

As a recap, the "tests by the experts" showed Austin had an IQ of 53 on paper. He took an Alternate Assessment test last year that placed him at the beginning of First Grade with his skills. Not bad, huh, they were actually VERY PROUD! Austin had been doing it their way for over 7 years in the school district. I take part of the blame, because I was scared to death to move him to a "typical" school because his behavior had escalated, and I try very hard to protect everyone around him, and not let his "rights" outweigh the rights of the children in his class to be safe should he have an outburst. I honestly felt that there were no where near enough Behavior Supports at any school but the most Seclusive school in our district, so he stayed there. He was bored out of his mind, gluing glitter on the letter G, 7 long years on his alphabet. Only because we can't individualize the whole day to HIS IEP goals, yet he was FAR ahead of the others in his class with goals.

Fast forward, we put tons of supports in place at school and he also started an intensive ABA program (you can see more about that in my previous blogs). To be honest, Austin is getting basically everything the "experts" recommended when he was 30 months and diagnosed with Autism, but they ruled out good insurance or parents with money, so he didn't get it!

The picture I have included is of MY SON'S very first report card this year. He has never gotten "actual grades". Austin is on A-B Honor Roll. Of course it included the caveat that "this is not on Grade level, these are grades based on his goals from his IEP, and progress toward those goals". The part they leave out is that he is doing skills in 2-3 grade academics. He is in the highest group for all Academic subjects.

The girls working here with him at home can't keep up with books and worksheets, as he blows through skill after skill.

Shocking isn't it? I am listening to the IACC meeting (Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee) on the phone as I write this. There are Teens and adults who are on the spectrum that can talk about how far they have come because they got what they needed. I have to admit, today is the first time that I have heard higher functioning individuals speak without thinking...if only...

Austin just may show the experts some day. The window of opportunity does not close. Austin is proof of that. HE THREW THE DOOR WIDE OPEN! He will be heard!

We have a question here at our house...DR. INSEL and IACC- DO YOU HEAR US NOW???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm trying to post a comment, but it deleted me so I'm going under anonymous. This is awesome!! You really need to write a step by step book on how you got what you needed so people like me can follow in your footsteps (without breaking my leg : ). Can I send the link out to the support group?

Florida_Mom said...

Way to go Austin! Maybe you are a Stephen Shore or Temple Grandin in the making. You can tell the whole world how supports helped you achieve school success. Sharon you are one of my mother warrier heros!